Hello,

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM, Alchemie fotografiche
<fotocom...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> I believe there are some "artificial" limitation to the potential of script
> fu, derived by the exigence to "categorize " the scripts in 2 main categories:
> "Previous toolbox-scripts" that create a new imagine
> "imagine script" that should modify the active imagine

I want to make this clear: In English language 'create a new imagine'
is nonsense. imagine is a verb, as in 'I imagine I am eating a juicy
watermelon'; it's an action, not a thing.

'image' is the noun, you can 'create a new image' or 'modify the active image';
All of the instances I have seen where you used the word 'imagine',
'image' was the appropriate word.

Personally, I often find your use of 'imagine' confusing, so I think
you could improve the readability of your posts and how many people
respond by making this change.

> I suppose that division had some reasons to be with the old gimp layout.
>
> But now ,after Gimp 2.4 i cannot imagine any reason to maintain such
> "artificial" distinction.
>
> "artificial" because a script may do both and more
> Same script may work on the active layer,and/or create a new layer, and/or
> create a new imagine...
> Stressing the point , in general a good flexible script SHOULD do more,
> allowing to chose most logic input (except for "render" script" )and the
> output options
>
> As now if a script is classified as "image script" users may overlook the
> fact that may also create a new imagine , because imagine scripts are not
> supposed to do that
>
> As now a good and flexible script that can output on a new imagine, Or/and in
> a new layer of the active imagine or/and on the active layer or drawable will
> be always erroneously classified since there is not yet in Gimp a script
> category as "Good scripts without unneeded artificial limitations "
>
> That is mostly evident with all the "Logos" and "alpha to logo " scripts
>
> 2 Groups of almost identical scripts with same names
> (I may assure here that most users will notice only 1 group, and ignore the
> other.
>  or if by chance someone will notice the other group  will believe that a
> different link for the  same identical function since the   names  are
> identical)
>
> Solve that chaos of the "Logos" -"Alpha to Logo" script may be become much
> easier if there is a commune agreement that a "LOGO_RELATED" script should
> allow to output the result
>
> 1) as new imagine
> (with a option to have Transparency as background ... not only a solid color
> as now)
>
> 2) as new layer(s) pasted on the active imagine
>
> 3) as modification of the active layer
>
> 4) any combination of the options above
>

> This at least for the scripts to be bundled in Gimp, then the authors of
> extra scripts have obviously the freedom to offer less options if they wish,
> but they will get no more artificial limitation to the potential of their
> scripts..and no more the risk to have their script mis-categorized
>
> (again limitation are more for users then for the scripts...if a script is a
> Imagine-script is supposed no to to create a new imagine, so most users will
> not look for such option even if available)
This is true. Personally I ignore script-fu.. There are some useful
script-fu scripts, but most scripts seem to be about things like
rendering logos, which is something I'll never use.

> please consider that i am not expert in script fu, i wrote only 2 scripts and
> that was possible only with a great help.
>
> But somehow i felt this a point to be discussed, if solved i believe also
> many usability issues of the Gimp "Logos" and "Alpha to logo" scripts may be
> solved much more easily (hopefully merging the  2 groups )

In theory, your idea sounds like a good improvement. As I said, I
don't use this 'logo generating' type of script, so someone else who
does might be able to offer you more useful feedback.

David