John, David and Bill:

jcup...@gmail.com writes:
 > 2009/1/24 David Gowers <00a...@gmail.com>:
 > > a) You should investigate implementing this interpolation method for
 > > GEGL rather than GIMP, as in the fairly near future these kinds of
 > > transformations in GIMP will be implemented through use of GEGL.
 >
 > My understanding is that this will not be possible in GEGL as things
 > stand, since GEGL does not give interpolators the local slopes. In
 > other words, a GEGL interpolator is just asked for the value at
 > (double x, double y), it can't find out how closely spaced the
 > surrounding sample points are.
 >
 > No doubt this could be added or changed. I think other interpolator
 > authors have been asking for this feature as well.
 >
 > John

For example, it is my opinion that pleasant looking and fast
downsampling hinges on such information being available to a
resampler.

Suggestion:

GSoC season is upon us. I think that building some kind of "gradient
information" into GEGL this would make a good GSoC project.

Nicolas Robidoux
Universite Laurentienne/Laurentian University