Hello,

My initial reaction would be that if we are to make the Gimp "production
ready", then a few interesting "feet on the ground" features would be
interesting to work on :
- Resize
- Denoise / Sharpen
... before exporting to CMYK.

Here are some pointers :
- Fractal resizing
( http://ecommons.uwinnipeg.ca/archive/00000026/ and
http://search.cpan.org/~rkobes/GD-Image-CopyIFS-0.25/CopyIFS.pm<http://search.cpan.org/%7Erkobes/GD-Image-CopyIFS-0.25/CopyIFS.pm>)

- Wiener denoising (Refocus it) enhancement and port to GEGL :
http://refocus.sourceforge.net/doc.html

Otherwise, I could suggest
- Highlights / Shadows compression and other non linear contrast enhancement
techniques (pointers on request) beyond Retinex.

Another suggestion would be to improve the smoothen/sharpen tool by using
wavelets decomposition and making it available as a brush :
http://gimp.foebud.org/node/11742

What field of image processing are you more interested in ? We can always
find ideas of something which would fit a summer ...

keep smiling :)

vincent