On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine  wrote:

> I'm sorry to spoil the party, but...
>
> http://my.opera.com/area42/blog/gimp-colorize
>
> What could be interesting is implementation of
> http://people.csail.mit.edu/soonmin/photolook/
>
> Alexandre
> _______

this is the implementation of the coloring by brush strokes....
what i offer is the main part of the coloring by example algorithm described
in the article I linked to (here's the link again:
http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/~dcor/online_papers/papers/colorization05.pdf<http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/%7Edcor/online_papers/papers/colorization05.pdf>)
and it's coloring different images by giving an example image... meaning:
let's say you have a baby picture of your brother wearing an outfit that
your father wore when he was a kid, but what a bummer, your father, who was
born ages ago has his picture in B&W.
you could using the plug-in that is published above using brush strokes try
and select the correct colors for the image and let the algorithm color it
accordingly...
or, you could give GIMP the example picture of your brother, and wait for it
to output your father's picture in colors!
of course sometimes brush strokes will be needed to refine the result, but
the main idea here is to color the picture with no user interaction.

I don't think that anyone implemented this for GIMP, and I think it may be a
nice plug-in to have... we can call it "automated coloring" :)

Irena