On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:44 PM, peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net> wrote:
> Mix master tape (in rgb) and then cut
> the lp (in cmyk).

I can express any CMYK color in RGB - but not the other way around.
Therefore, I "master" all of my print jobs in CMYK, and if I "cut"
something like a preview for a client then I use RGB space.  So you
see, it's actually quite the opposite in my world.  This is why GIMP
is only a small portion of my day to day work flow - it is not
printer-friendly (yes, friendly to the device sitting on your desk,
but not a person who is a printer).

And I agree that Scribus is coming along nicely and will (hopefully)
become a robust page layout program - but I think where GIMP comes
into the arena is creating a single image that will be printed (in a
magazine, screen printed, newspaper, whatever).  Something like
PDF+CMYK export is a good first step, but ultimately CMYK editing and
channel operations are needed to make GIMP suitable for preparing an
image for print.