On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 2:44 PM, yahvuu <yah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Chris Mohler schrieb:
>> I can express any CMYK color in RGB - but not the other way around.
>
> now i'm confused :)
>
> Is CMYK->RGB->CMYK roundtrip safe?

Not really.  What I was trying to say is that I send RGB proof images
to my customers, even though the artwork is in CMYK - and they get a
fairly honest representation of the final print.  I do not actually
convert from CMYK->RGB->CMYK  though - just export RGB from the CMYK
image.

> >From past examples (trapping, rich black) i've come to think that
> hand-optimized CMYK separations can't be transformed back
> to RGB losslessly (quite opposite to gamut issues).

Yeah - that will lead to problems.

> Can some RGB color space be tricked to accommodate overprinting uses?

On that I have no idea...

Chris