On Wed, 25 Mar 2009, Guillermo Espertino wrote:

> Even though I agree that most of the CMYK cases mentioned use CMYK
> almost as spot colors, I can think of a very common usage scenario in
> Graphic Design where you need to be able to edit CMYK directly:
> Corporate colors.
> Most frequently Pantones. Brands have their corporate colors and ask
> designers to use them, but they can not always afford extra spot passes
> in offset press, so the colors have to be converted to the most
> aproximate CMYK combination (the Pantone Bridge catalog is for that).
> So you have to adjust the color of a photograph of a sign, a truck and a
> producto of your client to their corporate CMYK color.
> It's a photograph, you need CMYK, you can't use spot.
> This is a very common scenario, and it's a task for a image manipulation
> program.

Sadly for the cause of CMYK, that's not really a good example.
That's a better example for the need for Pantone and other color
matching system support.

Which GIMP will eventually need, but I'm thinking that day will
come a decade or two from now, hopefully when there's an open
source rival for Pantone.

(I actually plan to take that task on, myself in a few years, as
part of some research)

| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |
| <superlu...@frontiernet.net> <http://www.needsfoodbadly.com> |