Why limit it to path stroking?

It might be more flexible to create a "stroke style editor" where you
could visually adjust those attributes including tapers, brush
spacing, jitter, gradient mapping, and ultimately new features like
rotation, opacity and scaling (which tapering ultimately is), either
as start/end values or randomized values.

These stroke styles could be used either when stroking a path, a
selection, or just when painting.

-Rob A>

On 3/29/09, saulgo...@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com
<saulgo...@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com> wrote:
> Quoting peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net>:
>
>> so now we need a design problem. the course is short but
>> intense, 3 days with me full-time to work up a solutions model
>> and then they take some days to finish their presentation.
>>
>> so now huge redesign problems, more something like a compact tool.
>> (like the free/poly select tool), or a tricky interactive dialog
>> (like, combined brightness/contrast + levels + curves).
>>
>> please post your suggestions what we could do.
>
> A challenging problem that has not yet been addressed by GIMP's
> interface is how to interactively stroke paths, and not merely just to
> see the results simple stroking (thickness, color, dashing), but
> actually provide some presently non-existent capability such as
> tapering and perhaps even arrowheads.
>
> This is a particularly tricky problem because, like the current Text
> Tool, it requires both a dialog to choose certain settings as well as
> some on-canvas handles to interact with rendering (I am thinking here
> of control handles similar to the Paths Tool's, but that they affect
> the rendering and not the path itself).
>
> There is also a problem in that currently stroking a path works upon
> an existing drawable, and honors several paramaters such as the
> selection, layer modes, and paint tool options, whereas the Text Tool
> avoids these issues by creating a new layer.
>
> Personally, I think interactive path rendering to a new layer would be
> worthwhile in and of itself (creation of tapered curves is sorely
> missed by me), and would offer the advantage of permitting later
> modification of that rendering, but it would mean a departure from the
> current stroking behavior (which is a worthwhile capability not to be
> abandoned).

Sent from my mobile device