Okay, so I've built all (so far as I can tell) the ports I need using
MacPorts, thanks again to the folks on this list.  So I cd in OS X
Terminal to the gimp-2.6.6-dev (my copy of gimp-2.6.6) folder and run
configure.

First it complains I have no TIFF library.  Well, I don't use TIFF so I
reran with ./configure --without-libtiff

Result:

checking for jpeg_destroy_decompress in -ljpeg... no
configure: WARNING: *** XJT plug-in will not be built (JPEG library not
found) ***
configure: error:
*** Checks for JPEG library failed. You can build without it by passing
*** --without-libjpeg to configure but you won't be able to use JPEGs then.

???? I use JPEG images, so that will never do.  So I go nosing around.

echo $PATH
per MacPorts gives
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin

I look at configure, and it's looking for /${exec_prefix}/lib where
/${exec_prefix}=NONE.

jpeglib.h (which does define jpeg_destroy_decompress) is in
/opt/local/include
while /opt/local/lib contains
libjpeg.a
libjpeg.dylib
libjpeg.la
libjpeg.62.dylib
libjpeg.62.0.0

I tried changing configure such that exec_prefix=/opt/local
and re-ran in but got the same error.

Anyone know what's up?

Charles Belov