> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:09:35 -0400
> From: M Gagnon <auria...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] OS X GIMP configure can't find JPEG library
> To: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
> You will very likely need to fiddle with environment variables to help
> configure find it.
> Especially check PKG_CONFIG_PATH

Thanks, that got me a bit further in my investigations.

PKG_CONFIG_PATH was blank. I set it to /opt/local/lib/pkgconfig with the
same result. Then I noticed that among the many libraries in that
directory, libjpeg.pc and libtiff.pc were not among them, although
libpng.pc was.

So I ran Onyx to make sure locate was up to date and interestingly:

$ locate .pc | grep 'png'
$ locate .pc | grep 'jp'
$ locate .pc | grep 'tiff'

Yeah, no .pc files for libjpeg or libtiff.

And its apparently a feature, not a bug--I've seen posts saying that the
JPEG folks never creating a .pc file for libjpeg.

So then the question is how do I point configure to one of the following
directories for libjpeg?

/Applications/Gimp.app/Contents/Resources/ (this appears to be the
resource fork of Gimp.app, which was installed from the .dmg file)

I tried sticking /opt/local/lib on the end of both PATH and PKG_CONFIG_PATH
and that didn't help either.

All to no avail.  Any further ideas?
Charles Belov