Hi,

as you may have noticed (or will notice soon, at least when svn does become
more and more outdated), GNOME is moving its source code repository from SVN to
GIT.

GIT should be available on all major platforms - via the package managers of
most Linux distributions, and installers for Mac OS X
(http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-installer/) and Microsoft Windows
(http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/)

However, most people will be inexperienced with using git, especially if they
try to follow the "best practice" of a distributed revision control system -
having 'git pull' tell you that it doesn't know what to pull from isn't that
reassuring, at least.

So we need an example workflow from someone who is already comfortable with
git. A description that starts right at the first 'git clone' and includes the
creation of a local branch(?), and the committing changes for others to see.

This will be interesting especially for Summer of Code, as we usually want to
have students their own branches, but preferably not local ones.

Regards,
Michael
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01