I just ran through my scripts.

In the .scm files distributed with gimp, there were:
38 files containing gimp-context-set-foreground
65 files containing gimp-context-set-background

looking at the scripts I have installed in my home directory, there were:
49 files containing gimp-context-set-foreground
29 files containing gimp-context-set-background

This is my no means a thorough assessment.  Perhaps the individual
operating the gimp plugin registry could grep all the plugin files and
give a better count of the third party scripts using these calls.

-Rob A>