On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 07:27 -0700, Bill Skaggs wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM, peter sikking <pe...@mmiworks.net> wrote:
> >
> > I have big apprehensions that a machine script need to touch the
> > users' undo history. I would like to know from David Hodson what
> > he is trying to achieve manipulating the undo stack.
>
> I have some doubts myself about the value of undo in scripts.  The case is
> much
> stronger for plug-ins -- there are lots of them where you could get a cleaner
> usage path by allowing users to try something and then undo it within the
> plug-in, instead of having to undo in gimp and then run the plug-in over again
> for every variation.

Bingo.

I'm the author of David's Batch Processor, and I use Gimp as an image
processing engine for that and various other projects that don't behave
the way most plugins do. For something that I'm working on, it would be
handy to be able to unwind back to a saved state. A preview window won't
help, I want to work on the real image.

-- David