Peter, I think you (or me :) ) will be surprised if know the statistics
on the percentage of photos which really need complex retouching or
complex actions with layers. The most common cases I can give are face
retouching, "repairing" of a photo with too high dynamic range or
correcting perspective distortion. If a photo is properly exposed, has
not excessive noise and is not a portrait of a person you need to
improve, there is no need to retouch it after proper RAW conversion.