On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 15:51 +0200, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> I think it would be much straightforward (less thinking) -- "I want to
> make the line from here to there horizontal/vertical; end".

Go to tool options, choose "corrective mode" and preview "grid".
Now, align the grid with the item in your picture that you want to
be horizontal or vertical, and click rotate.

You can change the number of grid lines, or the grid line spacing,
and sometimes the grid will happen to line up exactly with the feature
in your picture.