While working on my resampler, I noticed the tile cache often got
itself into near-deadlock situations when it was actually working
under moderate cache pressure.  I have a series of four tile cache
performance patches following this mail; one is a simple one-liner
that removes a few integer divisions, the second adds a decent amount
of profiling collection and output to the tile cache, the third fixes
the tile cache strategy and the fourth addresses bugs and tuning
problems with the idle swapper.  Along with these patches, I've also
written automated test/profiling scripts.

Detailed description of the patches, test scripts and some profilng
results can be found at

The patches are against the gnome master, but I believe they can be
[and should be] applied to 2.6 as well.