Quoting Mirai Warren <the.future.comes...@gmail.com>:

> How can I get the layer id of the current layer to use in a GAP layer
> operation?  Is there already a way to get it in GAP code?

Whenever specifying layers in GAP dialogs, the layers are described by
their stack positions -- by default: 0=topmost, 1=second from top, etc
(there is usually an option to reverse the numbering so that
0=background, 1=second from bottom, etc). These stack positions will
be converted to appropriate layerIDs when PDB or libgimp functions are
called.

If this is not sufficient for what you are attempting, perhaps you
could elaborate on your goals.