OK, so following Alexia's suggestion, I am going to plan on selecting ahead
of time the rectangle I want my text to paste into.  The upper left corner
of this selection will then be the upper left corner that I want to paste my
png to.  How do I do that?  I thought about creating a layer the same size
as the selection rectangle and pasting to (0,0) on that layer.  I see in the
pdb how to create a layer with a certain width and height, but I don't see
how to specify the offset.  And I don't see how to paste to a specific set
of coordinates.  Can this be done?  If I use pdb.gimp_edit_paste_as_new, can
I get the coordinates of the pasted selection and then move the floating
selection before anchoring?  What is the right approach?

Thanks,

Ryan