2009/7/22 Fredrik Alströmer <r...@excu.se>

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 14:12, Alexandre
> Prokoudine<alexandre.prokoud...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> >
> >> Easy enough, just unset the 'global-brush' property. I am not sure
> >> though if that would make a good default for the average user.
> >
> > So far I only heard from users "thanks, but why is it not by default?" :)
> I guess you wouldn't hear from people who like it the way the default
> is set, would you? :)

Well you can hear from me: I like the global-brush setting; if it is
accidentally turned off I find it very annoying, having to reselect brush
between tools... usually I *do* want to keep just the same brush between
tools. When I think about it, I wonder whether such users ever get to using
GIMP with any level of frequency or intensity, as IMO with the global-brush
option off, there is an unavoidable mental 'thunk' to accommodate for the
possible change of brush as you change tool; global-brush == off seems in
this way to inherently slow the user's workflow (regardless of what workflow
they use -- having to think 'oh, what is the brush of this tool' ==

A related issue is the difficulty of reliable brush selection. ideally I
would hit a shortcut (say CTRL+B) and then type part of a brush name and hit
enter to select it. The current brush selection methods either require
direct pointing, are inaccurate, or only allow relative selection (ie. next
brush, prev brush)

(note: you can do absolute brush selection by this method IIRC: make sure
your brushes dialog is set to List,
then when you want to select a brush by name, hit [the shortcut for the
brushes dialog], then CTRL+F and type the name fragment. This has two
downsides - a) it's too much keyboard work for a common operation, b) it
changes the focus, which means I have to mouse back to the image window or
ALT-TAB before I can continue as before (say, adjusting the drawing opacity
before I start painting))

Alexandre says:
>Clear separation of default settings for different tools is such an obvious
I agree with that. Unfortunately, having sensible, different defaults for
different tools is in direct conflict with having an efficient,
un-surprising workflow (and everyday workflow takes priority IMO.. A person
remains a newbie for only so long, but the general consistency of workflow
is something they will need to deal with as long as they use GIMP --
including any bureaucratic lumps such as (global-brush == off))