Can somebody tell me how far away GIMP is from being able to view
manipulations that you do in a different color space in real time in
real colors?

I could get along with constant recomposing to view with HSV.  But I
have recently discovered the LAB colorspace which does really useful
things for me.  But now it is a pain that I cannot mess with the LAB
layers and see how the picture looks like.

Photoshop seems to do it, although I haven't personally observed it.
How do they do it quick enough? Is it quick in the first place?

Even a preview with a much smaller picture or magnified rectangle
would be very useful.  I don't need too high precision since I usually
take the result of LAB layers for mixing with existing layers, so the
colors coming out of LAB aren't the final word.

Martin Cracauer <craca...@cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/
FreeBSD - where you want to go, today.      http://www.freebsd.org/