Martin Nordholts wrote:

> I would just like to point out that the smallest screen size supported
> by GIMP is 1280x1024, so we don't need to make 1024x768 work or look good.

Yes, I've read that many times and I would agree with it too since
anything lower than that resolution is rather old gear. I was
experimenting (but what about 1440x900 screens though? This seems to be
a common size for smaller monitors and some notebooks. The vertical
resolution is the problem here).

I personally think that an interface which works well with lower
resolutions while still maintaining good functionality and usable space
is a good interface, by the way. It's useful for everybody to maximize
screen space (*)!

(*) Possibly by avoiding wasting vertical space. Vertical resolution,
except for high end or otherwise specialized monitors, seems to have
stabilized to around 1050 pixels. Nowadays getting a bigger monitor with
a higher resolution doesn't necessarily mean that there will be much
more useful (and precious) vertical space.

Common resolutions for most consumer-grade LCD monitors are typically:
1280x1024 (5:4)
1440x1050 (4:3)
1680x1050 (16:10)
1980x1080 (16:9)

The current trend is that the following resolutions and higher ones will
tend to be available only on high-end, professional grade monitors:
1600x1200 (4:3)
1980x1200 (16:10)