On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Martin Nordholts <ense...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please let's not bombard the UI with modal dialogs. They are excellent
> for interrupting workflows and annoying users. The proper solution is to
> make changing the comment dirty the image, it is not to show a modal

While I agree, what about the idea of an 'elevated status' message
appearing in a toaster?

If you think of how some IM clients notify, this 'elevated status'
message could pop up from the status bar.  It would stay open for
10-15 seconds and then disappear back into the status bar.

There could be a small red 'X' in the upper right to dismiss the
message immediately, otherwise it remains non-modal.  Clicking the
message itself could pull up the appropriate section of the GIMP help
manual (or something else useful).

Chris