Just checking to see if this is a gimp bug or whether I should look
somewhere else.

I'm using 2.6.6 on Ubuntu Ibex Linux dell 2.6.28-14-generic #47-Ubuntu
SMP Sat Jul 25 00:28:35 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I switched from having the wacom device set up in xorg.conf to having a
configuration in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/custom_wacom.fdi (attached).

I did this so I'd get plug and play, i.e. not have to restart X when I
plugged in my tablet.  That has worked fine.  There's just two different
problems.

1) If I plug it in after the gimp is already started it isn't recognized
as a tablet, i.e. doesn't appear as an extended input device that can be
configured and works only as a mouse.
2) If I plug it in before starting the gimp, it's recognized and works
well, but if I unplug it before exiting the gimp, gimp will crash in a
little bit.

Inkscape has exactly the same behavior including the crash.

Patrick