On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 6:12 PM, Michael J. Hammel
<mjham...@graphics-muse.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 17:50 -0500, Chris Mohler wrote:
>> I think it's reasonable to pair rulers and guides, and would certainly
>> want to keep the ability to drag a guide from a ruler.
>>
>> However, if there were an alternate method I might use it as well -
>> something like press a key, the mouse is now dragging a guide, click
>> on the window and get a new guide.  Maybe some sort of modifier to
>> toggle/go horizontal/vertical?  Seems like part of the code would
>> already be there in the 'New Guide' menu item, but have not looked...
>
> This is actually the point I'm trying to make.  How is any key/mouse
> combination going to be any more intuitive/less complex than dragging
> from a ruler?  Decoupling adds complexity (at a minimum forcing users to
> learn a new process, but probably worse than that) for the sake of
> cleanliness (re: being able to hide the rulers), but I don't think the
> trade offs are worth it.

Well, I don't think so either.  I find the method of dragging from the
ruler to be quite intuitive already.  Then again, I was trained since
PS 2.0 (or thereabouts) that guides come from rulers - so I might be
biased ;)  But if ui team is determined to find a way to add guides
w/o rulers, then a kb shortcut is the way I'd go - that's all I had to
say :)

Chris