Citing a passage regarding the "image parade" on Peter Sikking's blog post:

> What I find very intriguing is that the notion of which file is open
> starts to blur. Having a file being loaded from disk becomes a side
> effect of clicking it to make it the current file. Similarly GIMP
> can decide to start closing files with no unsaved changes when there
> are too many of them open and memory gets tight.

> My current thinking is that it is not necessary to mark files in the
> parade as being open. The concept quasi disappears for users. The
> white stars indicate unsaved changes.

It should be noted that many plug-ins and filters provide dialogs in
which the user is prompted (via drop-down lists) to select
images/layers/channels/paths from amongst those available in currently
opened images. It would seem unwieldy for the code to have to open
previously closed files to search for these potential
images/layers/channels/paths every time such a dialog is presented
(and the resulting drop-down lists could contain LOTS of entries in
which the user holds no interest). Thus it may be necessary to retain
the concept of "opened images" and provide a means of distinguishing
unopened images in the image parade (if they are to be included).