Cole wrote:

I think the term single-window mode is potentially confusing.
It's how you dock the windows together that gives the user the
*perceived* single-window or multiple-window mode.

well, if I have to formulate it, then single-window is users' preference
for a flat working surface, where nothing overlaps. Multi-window is
a staggered environment.

one thing is bugging/intriguing me and that is the (single) point
where single-and multi-window 'lines cross'. That is when one image
is open and for single window toolbox and inspector column(s) have
been torn off.

Forgetting the parade for a moment, single-and multi-window look
the same in that situation. It is tempting to think that from there
users can 'just go in four directions,' by opening a tab, a new window,
docking toolbox or inspector column(s). that is just 3 directions, because
exactly docking on a multi-window environment is not a viable route
afaics, docking global stuff to image instances.

But I said "forgetting the parade for a moment" because that exactly
points at the kind of UI optimisation that can be done if it is known
whether a flat or staggered environment is the goal. I'll also be
damned to double a number of menu items because the result could
be a new window or a new tab. this now works automatic according to
the single-window mode setting.

            man + machine interface works : on interaction architecture