I honestly don't see the problem people have with the word.

My school-age daughter came home talking about using gimp in school.

I thought great, a progressive schoolboard willing to use open source software.

Alas, she was referring to gimp, the plastic craft lace.  Also known
as boondoggle (which in itself has negative connotations)

If an elementary school doesn't have problems with a word because of
other possible definitions of that word, then I can't see why anyone
else should.

A name is a name is a name.  Regardless of past cleverness or intended
wordplay, it is what it is, "Gimp". It is the name.  Deal with it.

-Rob A>