I honestly don't see the problem people have with the word.

My school-age daughter came home talking about using gimp in school.

I thought great, a progressive schoolboard willing to use open source software.

Alas, she was referring to gimp, the plastic craft lace.  Also known
as boondoggle (which in itself has negative connotations)
http://www.crazy4crafts.org/2006/08/15/plastic-lacing-gimp-or-boondoggle-scoubidou-designs-craft-ideas-and-web-sites/

If an elementary school doesn't have problems with a word because of
other possible definitions of that word, then I can't see why anyone
else should.

A name is a name is a name.  Regardless of past cleverness or intended
wordplay, it is what it is, "Gimp". It is the name.  Deal with it.

-Rob A>