On 11/20/09, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:

> IMHO, stupidiest decision ever - they _want_ their users to be dumb
> and continue that way. As for me, up to today I used to recomend
> ubuntu to people I presented Free Software. (despite some ongoing
> really great flaws, like translating the name of special user folders
> such as Desktop and Documents). Now, with the promise of a GIMPless
> Ubuntu, I will burn some other distro for people to taste Linux and
> Free Software.

Canonical also never shipped Ubuntu with Ardour or Cinelerra or
Blender -- all apps aimed at professionals. People who need serious
software for media production have choice, be it 64studio or Ubuntu
Studio or half a dozen of other distributions.

What most Linux users really need is something like Picasa or iPhoto
-- to easily import a bunch of pics, color-correct them and publish
online. Using GIMP for fixing red-eyes or straightening horizon is an
overkill. So if this choice will motivate someone to improve F-Spot,
Solang, Shotwell or IntiPinku, who is to lose? :)