I have asked the exactly same question month ago and Martin was kindly
enough to provide some code base. Below is the archive link

http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg19123.html

Since the time frame for my project is pretty tight, so I just insert the
ugly g_fprintf code into the commands of interest and dump the command log
into some file for further analysis. If you just need some immediate result
for prototype, this might be a ugly but simple and fast way to do :D

-Tim