On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 08:18 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> > In principle icon+label is best, both easier to locate and to click.
> > The only reason to display less is contrained space. IMHO.
> >
> > Ideally, the tabs would gracefully degrade when there's not
> > enough space available. For increasing number of tabs:
> >    1. icon + label
> >    2. icon + short label
> >    3. icon only
> >    4. icon || arrows for scrolling
> >
> > If i understand the GtkNotebook API correctly, it is not possible
> > to base something like this on the actual size of the tabs.
> It's a good idea and I think we should try. It could work fairly well to
> hook into size-allocation of the tab widgets, and if the total width is
> wider than the width of the GtkNotebook, go one step down in your list.
> One thing is unclear though, how would we map the current Tab Style
> settings to this? One approach would be to add a new style "Automatic"
> and make it default, but that doesn't feel very elegant...
> I'd also like to, just for reference, link to a related discussion about
> making Tab Style a more global setting:
> "[Gimp-developer] Making dockable tab style a global setting"
> http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2009-December/023825.html

I don't think it makes sense to turn this into a global setting. Simply
because what setting is best depends a lot on the environment of each
dockable. So it should be possible to tweak this for each dockable
individually. It would make a lot of sense though to come up with a
saner default for new dockables. The proposed "Automatic" mode would
probably make a nice default.