On Feb 13, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

> I some ways I agree with Chris but the X.Org developers have insisted on an
> ongoing basis that it is NOT their responsibility to handle color management
> of the display.   If we wait for X.Org to implement CM it will likely never
> happen.

I'd definitely second this point. I've been in many discussions with several
key players in this arena, and when all technical details are explored it does
seem to come down to the points that X11 does not and should not deal with
color management in these regards and needs to leave it to the individual apps.
To get a fully usable system, X11 would require some major reworking, and thus
won't be seen any time soon.

Of course, to end up with an optimal workflow for end users, GTK could be
adapted to handle a fair bit by itself (and, yes, there is work happening on
this at the moment). Toolbars, icons, menus, color selectors, etc., ideally
would be color managed by GTK. But whatever "automatic" color management is
added to GTK needs to be done in such a way as to allow the "smart" programs
(such as GIMP) to hook in and control/override as needed.