In my opinion, a good explanation in the documentation could be enough: the
Fade out tool option has an effect only if the Mapping matrix of the current
Paint Dynamics has at least one box checked in the Fade column; similarly,
the Use color from gradient tool option has an effect only if the Mapping
matrix of the current Paint Dynamics has at least one box checked in the
Color row. What seems surprising, however, is the dissymetry between these
two characteristics. Moreover, the sentences I have to write would clearly
need to be shortened.

--
Olivier Lecarme