Hey guys, sorry about the delay. It's been a bit of a busy week.

On 21 February 2010 14:05, Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> wrote:

> Did you compare against SIOX as in the master branch or against the
> improved version that resulted from last year's GSoC ? It would also be
> interesting if you could benchmark your algorithm using the benchmark
> proposed in "GrabCut": interactive foreground extraction using iterated
> graph cuts" published in the Proceedings of the 2004 SIGGRAPH
> Conference. There's a Python script shipped with the GIMP source code
>  that does this with the SIOX tool.

I compared against both branches and the results were about the same.
Regarding the benchmark, on the papers that I mentioned in my first email
[1,2] we used the whole GrabCut segmentation dataset considering the
F-measure over the groundtruths (because our approach does not use trimaps).
The accuracy result was of over 98% on every paper. In fact, on another work
[3] seven users segmented a subset with 20 images from the GrabCut dataset,
using different pattern classifiers for one stage of our framework, and the
results were still above 97.7%. Also, we used the average number of drawn
markers as an indication of user interaction, and part of our current
approach (described in [2]) required about 5 markers in average (foreground
+ background). We are currently working on a paper to detail our  final
framework, because what was proposed on [2] was further improved to make
user interaction even more effective and simple, while maintaining the
segmentation quality.

I made a video comparing what I am going to implement for GIMP (currently on
our research software) and the soc-2009-siox-drb branch, which can be seen
here: http://vimeo.com/9803589. In my comparison, I used two images from the
GrabCut dataset and one from the Berkeley dataset [4] that present
increasing degree of difficulty. I believe that the foreground selection
tool requires a lot more user interaction for most common images, because it
usually does not handle well cases where foreground and background have
similar texture/color (as pointed out on the SIOX paper).

> In my opinion we should at this point concentrate on merging last year's
> work on the SIOX tool. If we start to add other segmentation methods
> before this work is merged, then it will become very difficult to ever
> get the soc-2009-siox-drb branch merged.
I agree that it should be a concern to merge that branch, but I think my
framework could be released as a minor version in the future. So, it would
be nice to have GSoC support for that.

[1] - http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1700473
[2] - http://www.springerlink.com/content/7415482725175nm7/
[3] - Spina, T. V.; Montoya-Zegarra, J. A.; Andrijauskas, F.; Faria, F. A.;
 Zampieri, C. E. A.; Pinto-Cáceres, S. M.; Carvalho, T. J. and Falcão,  A.
X. "A comparative study among pattern classifiers in interactive image
segmentation". Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and
  Image Processing, 22 (SIBGRAPI), Oct 2009, IEEE. To appear in IEEE Xplore.
[4] - http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Research/Projects/CS/vision/bsds/

Thiago Vallin Spina
MSc student
Laboratory of Visual Informatics