On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Sven Neumann <s...@gimp.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-03-02 at 08:01 -0500, lloyd konneker wrote:
>> Yes, I will submit a proper patch.  I'm new but I can figure it out.
>> I mainly wanted to get feedback whether it was desirable.  I'm not clear
>> when a discussion of an enhancement should move to Bugzilla.
>> More testing reveals other issues and test cases:
>> First, most plugins have unguarded calls to register(), so importing
>> some plugins from a plugin ends up reregistering a plugin, with a
>> warning to stderr from the Gimp PDB but apparently harmlessly.  I'm
>> still exploring, eg whether the order in which plugins are loaded
>> matters, whether the warning is only for local plugins, whether Gimp
>> supports multiple registrations of different plugins from the same
>> Python source, etc.
> I wonder if importing a plug-in from another plug-in is really something
> that we want to support. If the goal is to share code, then perhaps the
> code that is worth sharing should be factored out into a Python module
> that the plug-ins can import.

Every Python program is also able to be a python module that plug-ins
can import. We should preserve this feature of the language.

(For example, one can implement an app with a comand line interface,
and then just add a GUI in another file that uses the functions
defined on the stand-alone first file).