Hi all,

Sven Neumann wrote:
> Untagged files are assumed to be sRGB. That is the assumption that the
> GIMP code makes all over the place. Actually most parts of GIMP
> (basically everything except the display code) don't care about the
> color profile at all and will assume sRGB no matter what profile is
> attached. It is thus recommended to convert all images to sRGB during
> the import into GIMP.

This means that color management is simply incomplete or is something worse

I'm asking because last year, about same time [1], you wrote:
> Well, choosing a working profile other than sRGB is totally unsupported
> and will definitely lead to bad results.

I would call it useful partial support of color management if i can open an
AdobeRGB file
and apply, say, curves and gaussian blur and save the file with the color
In any case, the displayed image is correct and matches the saved image.

In contrast, the color selectors might be displaying wrong colors and pasting
might auto-assign
a wrong profile to new bitmaps. The layer modes and color tools like
Hue-Saturation change their
characteristics slightly according to the working space, but that's unavoidable
with 8-bit processing anyway.

This is my understanding of the current state of color management. If something
different is happening, can you please give an example of how results might get

[1] http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2009-February/021598.html