On 03/06/2010 12:58 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 07:34 +0000, Omari Stephens wrote:
>> Finally, to respond to your question on the bug, we need some way to
>> embed an actual sRGB profile into an image.
> Can't we just embed the lcms built-in sRGB profile? That sounds like a
> totally straight-forward solution. But I might have missed something. Is
> there a particular reason why we need the profile to exist as a file?

So, you're right; I had dismissed this possibility out-of-hand without
investigating sufficiently.  Having poked around the lcms code a bit, I
don't think this option is feasible.

Basically, lcms generates an RGB profile with the sRGB primaries,
transfer functions (aka "gamma curve"), and whitepoint; for the curious,
this happens in cmsCreate_sRGBProfile() in cmsvirt.c .  For one, I'm not
sure if this is all there is to a "real" sRGB profile (although it
certainly might be; thoughts, Graeme?).

Secondly, even if that's all there is to it, there doesn't seem to be a
way to get a profile _out_ of lcms.  The prototypes for profile
input/output are limited to cmsOpenProfileFromFile(),
cmsOpenProfileFromMem(), and cmsCloseProfile().  Nothing about exporting
a profile in any way.