On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 16:30:58 -0500
Jay Smith <j...@jaysmith.com> wrote:

> I am not sure where the "standard" that you mention comes from.  I had
> never seen black at bottom left (by default) until I started to use
> Gimp.
>
> Is there some actual scientific standard underlying that?  Or just
> majority of programs?  Or the programs you have used?  Or?
>
> Maybe the programs I have used in the past were backward.

I would suggest that they were. The "curves" are graphs plotting value
in (x) against value out(y). Traditionally a graph starting at 0 for
both axes would be drawn with the origin in the bottom-left.

This naturally leads to a curves graph where black (0) is in the
bottom-left and white (255/1023/...) is in the top-right.

What programs have you used where this situation was reversed?

Jon