On 04/21/2010 07:53 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 13:58 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
>
>> Even only temporarily valies, if set to a certain value,
>> like 0 or NULL, will help in finding problems.
>
> Should be totally un-necessary as the compiler will warn you if your
> code uses uninitialized variables. We are compiling with -Wall and we
> try hard to eliminate all compiler warnings. What you are suggesting
> will not improve the code at all, it would most likely even degrade its
> readability.

The compiler doesn't catch all cases, like this one:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
   int var;
   if (argc == 2)
     var = 42;
   printf ("var = %d", var);
   return 0;
}

Since use of uninitlized variables very well can cause severe and
hard-to-reproduce crashes, and since unpredictability never is a good
thing when it comes to computers, I think it is pretty clear what the
recommendation should be with regards to initialization of variables.

  / Martin