On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 15:46 +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:

> is there a convention for return values in Gimp,
> which says: on success return TRUE or a value,
> and on failure FALSE or NULL?

That is the convention, yes.

> Or can it be different at different sources,
> rather be a taste of the one who developed something?

Well, there is lots of plug-in code that follows different coding styles
and conventions. We apply the GIMP coding style on all new files, but
there is still cruft in some corners of the code-base that has not been
cleaned up yet. So you might find code that uses a different convention
for return values.