On 05/27/2010 09:36 AM, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 09:18 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:
>> The GtkToolPalette widget that hosts the buttons is able to nicely
>> distribute available space among the buttons, so I would like to remove
>> the resize constraint and make the toolbox dock window freely
>> resizeable. The attached patch does that.
> Do the buttons still flow/wrap then, or does this lead to a fixed n rows
> and m columns?

The buttons still flow/wrap.

>> Are there any important use cases or interaction design aspects I'm not
>> thinking about here?
> I assume the icons force a minimum button size?
> There *might* be some advantage to fix sized buttons regarding a
> training effect.
> At some point the icons will looks strange, surrounded by too much empty
> space, but that's not really an issue as the user can keep it out of the
> silly range easily.

It looks slightly strange when you resize the window, because the
buttons jump around more than usual. You do indeed get pretty severe
button spacing for certain widths:

but I mean, so what? If a user panics, he can just make the window
slightly bigger/smaller. Being able to adjust the window freely is far
more important in my opinion.

  / Martin

My GIMP Blog:
"GIMP 2.8 development still under control"