Note: I am currently working toward programming for GEGL methods which
apply arbitrary transformations (affine, say) in such a way that a
small change in the transformation (which are arbitrary) leads to a
small change in the result. I don't know if those necessarily would be
those used by the display (they are to become part of the
gegl-sampler-*.c family) but if they were, this would allow any
increment in zooming, with no "jump" in the result (although,
probably, a jump in the display unless the speed is up to par).

Nicolas Robidoux