Disclaimer: I am not a color buff. Anybody who actually *knows* about
that stuff, please chime in.

PAL/SECAM vs sRGB
=================
While writing the Lab/LCH layer mode stuff, I wondered so far why the
result is still slightly different from the current GEGL implementation
of Color/Hue/Saturation/Value modes.

Now after taking a quick peek at the babl source, it seems that
GEGL/babl assumes a PAL/SECAM RGB space as source (just like the
Decompose plug-in.)

Considering that two different implementations use PAL/SECAM, I am
wondering if there is a good reason for it and I just don't understand;
or if maybe they just either copied from each other or happened to
reference the same (limited) resource?
After all, accurate color conversion information isn't abundant and was
probably less so when that code was written.

So far I'd say it's a bug -- barring actual color management the most
reasonable assumption seems to be sRGB.

D50 vs D65
Another question during transformation to Lab is, which illuminant or
reference white to use.

That part, I don't quite understand yet. Does that depend on the source
data, or simply on how the monitor is calibrated?

I'll be grateful for any enlightenment.

Rupert