Can of worms...

A second attempt at summary and proposed action:

1. D50 vs D65 doesn't make any difference as long as Lab values aren't
communicated to the outside. (E.g. by saving to a file or by having a
Lab color picker)

2. The 'natural' conversion for sRGB seems to be D65. So I'll use that.
    [ Any plug-in that wants something different than D65 will just
      have to do its own conversion for now. ]

3. To keep the door open for a later implementation of full color
profile support, I'll add a reserved parameter to all Lab functions that
either accept or return RGB values. (The layer modes could then still
choose not to use that and stick with default sRGB / D65)

Sounds reasonable?