Hi Oliver,

1) Insert a layer at lowest position...
The image.add_layer method position argument is what you need to specify. 0 places a new layer at the top, 1 would be under the first layer, 2 under the second layer, etc... image.layers give you the list of layers in the image. Use len(image.layers) to place it at the bottom...

Console example:
>>> # Get Active Image
>>> image = gimp.image_list()[0]
>>>
>>> # Create a new layer
>>> new_layer = gimp.Layer(image, "My New Layer", image.width, image.height, RGBA_IMAGE,100, NORMAL_MODE)
>>>
>>> # Add Layer Lowest Position
>>> image.add_layer(new_layer, len(image.layers))

2) Fit canvas to layers
You'll want to use: gimp-image-resize-to-layers

Console:
>>> image = gimp.image_list()[0]
>>> pdb.gimp_image_resize_to_layers(image)

3) The current documentation at http://www.gimp.org/docs/python/index.html and the pdb is about the best we gimp-python users have. There are a few sites out there with some posts, but everything is pretty dated. I'm currently picking away at a full tutorial and complete updated reference which I'll post here when I get it completed. I'm about 75% completed with it.