On 08/25/2010 08:55 PM, Sven Neumann wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-25 at 13:39 -0300, Luiz Felipe Moraes Pereira wrote:
>> I agree with you, also the other stuff related to creation(button, etc)
>> should go somewhere else in gimp.
> "somewhere else" is not a very intuitive place either. We've had a
> longer discussion when these items were moved to File->Create and no one
> came up with a better solution. So unless someone comes up with a very
> good idea this time, things will stay as they are.
> And no, just adding yet another sub-menu to the File menu is not a very
> good options. That menu is pretty much overloaded already.

I could live with having Acquire as a separate sub menu under File because:

* We have had it once, so it is not an alien thing to do. (We
   should not use another term, like 'Import', as someone suggested.)
* Things under Acquire would be conceptually different from things
   under Create, namely images are (potentially, in the case of
   'From Clipboard') created from an external source
* We can remove File->Create altogether in GIMP 3.0. IMO none of the
   things there fits our product vision. The ones that do should be
   under Filter and not create a new image
* We can also remove File->Send by Email in GIMP 3.0, we shouldn't
   deal with mails at all, decreasing number of toplevel items in
   File even more
* We have to face that people regularly don't even find
   'From screenshot' in the Create menu, and I think resurrecting
   Acquire would solve this problem

Btw, I couldn't find any old discussion about this on gimp-developer,
was it discussed there or at LGM or something?

  / Martin

My GIMP Blog:
"Automatic tab style and removed tab title bar"