On 08/27/2010 08:05 PM, Jacopo Corzani wrote:
> Hello,
> i think that would be very useful a dummy layer that can contains a particular
> effect/operation like curves in order to change parameters in future without
> any problems and eventually using a particular mask for handle particular zone
> where i don't want this.
> In this case is possible to activate or deactivate effects and change that
> parameters dynamically without any duplicate image layers with static effects.
> The problem may be in a user-defined plugins but for standard operation like
> levels or
> curves there isn't or i'm missing somethings?
> If i write an effect plugin would be perfect to associate that with this kind
> of dummy layer in order to change parameters/enable/disable/masking/unmasking
> that whenever i want.
> Sorry for my english :),i'm not a mother language...
>
> Jack

I think Paint Shop Pro had a feature like this.  If I remember
correctly, it was called an adjustment layer.  For input it would take
the composite of all lower layers and then apply the effect such as
curves, brightness, etc.  I would love to see something like that in
GIMP, as well as something like layer groups so adjustments or other
layer blending can affect only grouped layers but not other layers.  The
layer group image would basically be the composite of all sub-layers
without the sub-layers being affected by any layers below the group:

Layer 1 (group, multiply)
|- Sublayer 1 (difference)
|- Sublayer 2 (normal)
Layer 2 (group, normal)
|- Sublayer 3 (overlay)
|- Sublayer 4 (normal)

In this case, the layer group is also a dummy layer that virtually
merges only the grouped layers (maybe even with any level of nesting),
so that Sublayer 1 only affects Sublayer 2 and Sublayer 3 only affects
Sublayer 4, with the result of the top group affecting only the result
of the bottom group.

Brian Vanderburg II