I'll be honest with you -- I have some big projects of my own, and I don't
have the many free hours necessary to build an entire UI spec.  I already
took quite a while thinking about this and typing it up, and I was hoping
that I could perhaps generate some discussion, or maybe get a GIMP developer
who happens to like my idea to flesh it out into a real spec.  I would be
happy to answer questions about my idea if anything is unclear.  If no one
feels that it's worthwhile, I won't be offended.  :)

Bart