Daniel Hornung wrote:
> I am not a lawyer but I think that distributing GIMP along with other non-free
> programs should be ok if those other programs just use it through the command
> line.  Of course you will still have to distribute GIMP under the GPL, which

Hmm. What's the command line got to do with it ? If a distribution ("package")
has functionality that depends on GPL code, then that package is derived from
GPL code, so must meet the GPL licensing conditions. The mechanism is
irrelevant, the dependence is what counts. A non-GPL program that invokes
a GPL program via any mechanism sounds a lot like is has some dependence
on the GPL code. If there is functional dependence, then the "mere aggregation
on the same media" escape clause wouldn't seem to apply.

Graeme Gill.