>> Now, looking through the code I don't see gimp doing anything really
>> different from me outside >of the convolution matrix code. Frankly, I don't
>> understand the convolution matrix code.

>>Why does it take 50 samples and then average them? Is this significant?

>even if i am not a developer i may assure you that consider the neighboring
>pixels (that is what convolution matrix are for ) is VERY significant, and
>sure that may explain well why result look simultaneously more contrasted and
>smoother.

>i think you should really give a look to what convolution matrix may do

Er, I think you misunderstood me a bit.  I believe I understand what the
convolution matrix is, and I also understand why it's important.  Yes, the
entire purpose of the convolution matrix is to look at neighbouring pixels to
create the pixel you're looking for, but that is not what I was talking about
when I said '50 samples'.

In the code which *creates* the convolution matrix it does not look at the
pixels at all.  It creates the convolution matrix using an equation.  I would
think that it would simply plug in the variables for each convolution matrix
value it's looking for, but what it is actually doing is taking 50 numbers and
plugs those into the equation, then averages them.

Just to repeat, this is in the part that creates the convolution matrix, not
the part that uses the convolution matrix to generate pixel values.  I was
wondering about the purpose of all those samples along the equation that
generates the matrix.

--
bioster (via gimpusers.com)