Hello,

just because I found a nice jargon entry, which supports
my view, I relate to that old topic again.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:33:15PM +0200, Oliver Bandel wrote:
[...]
> I would do EVERY pointer set to NULL, when defining it.
> And normally I also would set ANY other value to a certain value,
> when defining it.
>
> This has helped me to track errors as early as possible.
[...]

To "Heisenbug" you find:

  "In C, nine out of ten heisenbugs result from uninitialized auto variables,
  fandango on core phenomena (esp. lossage related to corruption of the malloc
  arena) or errors that smash the stack."
                  http://www.jargon.net/jargonfile/h/heisenbug.html

So, unininitialized auto variables is explicitly mentioned.

Ciao,
   Oliver